The Visual Terrain internship program is currently filled for 2013.
The Visual Terrain Lighting Design Internship Program is an excellent opportunity for students in the theatre arts, interior design and/or architectural educational programs to gain knowledge of a diverse working environment. Interns work directly with designers and clients on projects, which may include themed attractions, corporate events, museum & traveling exhibits and or architectural lighting installations.
Our criteria for interns are as follows:
- Applicants shall be currently enrolled in an accredited school
- Applicants shall receive some form of credit for interning
- Applicants shall be competent in both the theory and mechanics of lighting design
- Applicants must be familiar with AutoCAD, as well as conventional computer programs
As an intern you’ll receive work opportunities that test and heighten your abilities, not busy work.
It is important that candidates exude upbeat energy, possess exceptional attention to detail, be highly motivated, and exhibit a passion for the art and science of lighting design. We’re looking for team players and/or leaders-in-training who can also accept direction easily (when needed). (Walking on water is optional, and sometimes handy.)
If you are a student who is interested in the 2014 program, and fit these criteria, please email us a current copy of your resume along with a cover letter to:
Subject Line: Visual Terrain Internship Program
Or fax to 661.775.7708
About Us (the short version)
Visual Terrain is an internationally known firm that specializes in lighting design for architecture, attractions and the arts. CEO and principal designer Lisa Passamonte Green started the company that is now Visual Terrain in 1995. We have opened projects on every continent but Antarctica, and have clients that include some of the best-known companies in the world. With nine employees in offices in the Los Angeles, Chicago and Connecticut areas, we are able to handle some of the most challenging, interesting and fun projects on the planet!
We believe that if you love your job, then you don’t mind working hard, so we are looking for people who really, really, really love lighting design.
Our office in the city of Santa Clarita Enterprise Zone, overlooking the Santa Clara River, offers easy access to restaurants, shopping, golf, continuing education, and 60 miles of bike trails.
Basic Qualifications (aka Must-Haves)
- Working towards a Bachelor or Masters Degree in Architectural, Theater Design with an emphasis in lighting, Interior Design, Lighting, or Architectural Engineering.
- Core interest in the lighting design industry with an emphasis in Theatrical or Architectural lighting design
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, AGI32, etc.
- Proven interest in the built-environment
- Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity
Desired Skills (aka Icing on the Cake… and we like icing!)
- 3.3 GPA or higher, working towards a Master’s Degree
- Coursework in Theatrical Lighting, Architectural, Interiors or Lighting Design
- Experience with AutoCAD and/or Vectorworks
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- Proven ability to perform in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
- Past history of technical presentations and technical writing
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field.
Responsibilities (aka How You Will Spend Your Days)
- Supporting the design staff locally and in the Chicago and Connecticut offices
- Helping us put out random, project-based fires.
- Report writing
- Working with drawings in AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Attending meetings and learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
- Working with people from other disciplines and/or vendors