In lieu of a bio, Principal Designer Steven Young asks our interns questions about their experience at Visual Terrain. Here are David’s responses:
1. How is this experience different from your work in theatre?
DA: I have found themed entertainment to be really similar but where it differs from theatre is in the attention to detail and documentation to convey a design to a team and a much more thorough process in permanent installation.
2. So far, what’s your favorite part about Visual Terrain, Inc.?
DA: My favorite part about VTI is working with a great team of like-minded people on a vast range of projects. I have been able to gain exposure to various designers on a different projects all in different phases of design.
3. I hear that you were able to go to Lightfair with the VTI team, what had the biggest impact on you there?
DA: I had a blast at Lightfair! I had no idea there were so many different manufacturers and lights. Getting to meet so many different designers and representatives was great. I definitely plan to attend next year.
4. What do you hope you will learn most from your time at VTI?
DA: I hope to learn more of the process in themed entertainment and architecture. Each project is different and I learn something unique from each one.
5. Did your time with Visual Terrain affect your career or academic plans in any way?
DA: My time at VTI definitely had an impact on my plans. Going forward, I hope to continue to pursue themed entertainment and look into ways to leapfrog from live entertainment.
6. How much was the work you did/experience you had at Visual Terrain different from what you expected before you started?
DA: I found the whole experience invaluable. Going into the internship I had no idea what to expect. From the start, I was incorporated into the team. Being given real responsibilities on various project that truly contributed to the outcome has been amazing!