Visual Terrain is recruiting interns now, for Lighting Design internships available for the Fall of 2014. The deadline for applications is June 15, 2014.
As an intern you’ll receive work opportunities that test and heighten your abilities, not busy work.
It is important that candidates exude upbeat energy, possess exceptional attention to detail, be highly motivated, and exhibit a passion for the art and science of lighting design. We’re looking for team players and/or leaders-in-training who can also accept direction easily (when needed). (Walking on water is optional, and sometimes handy.)
About Us (the short version)
Visual Terrain is an internationally known firm that specializes in lighting design for architecture, attractions and the arts. CEO and principal designer Lisa Passamonte Green started the company that is now Visual Terrain in 1995. We have opened projects on every continent but Antarctica, and have clients that include some of the best-known companies in the world. With eight employees in offices in the Los Angeles, Chicago and Connecticut areas, we are able to handle some of the most challenging, interesting and fun projects on the planet!
We believe that if you love your job, then you don’t mind working hard, so we are looking for people who really, really, really love lighting design.
Our office in the city of Santa Clarita Enterprise Zone, overlooking the Santa Clara River, offers easy access to restaurants, shopping, golf, continuing education, and 45 miles of bike trails.
Basic Qualifications (aka Must-Haves)
- Working towards a Bachelor or Masters Degree in Architectural, Theater Design with an emphasis in Lighting, Interior Design, Lighting, or Architectural Engineering.
- Core interest in the Lighting Design industry with an emphasis in Theatrical or Architectural lighting design
- AutoCAD, Microsoft Office, etc.
- Proven interest in the built-environment
- Good time management habits, ability to multi-task, ability to sustain focus on long tasks
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, eagerness to learn, teamwork, creativity
Desired Skills (aka Icing on the Cake… and we like icing!)
- 3.3 GPA or higher, working towards a Master’s Degree
- Coursework in Theatrical Lighting, Architectural, Interiors or Lighting Design
- Experience with Photoshop, Filemaker Pro, AGI32, and/or Vectorworks
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field of lighting design
- Proven ability to perform in a paid work environment with intermittent supervision
- History of technical presentations and technical writing
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field.
Responsibilities (aka How You Will Spend Your Days)
- Supporting the design staff locally, in our California office, as well as the Chicago and Connecticut offices on a variety of projects.
- Helping us put out random, project-based fires.
- Report writing
- Working with drawings in AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Development and input of lighting specifications into reports
- Attending meetings and learning from listening, asking questions and discussion
- Working with people from other disciplines and/or vendors