STATUS: ON HOLD Please contact us regarding the availability of this position. Thank you.
We are seeking a senior lighting designer in our Santa Clarita, CA office.
To us, a senior lighting designer is someone with a passion for lighting design. Someone who loves it so much, you eat, breathe and sleep it. In fact, you can’t imagine doing anything else.
The kind of senior designer we are looking for has entrepreneurial spirit. Perhaps you’ve freelanced, or even had your own lighting design firm for a while. You understand the business side of lighting design; in fact you enjoy it almost as much as Lighting Design itself.
You are decisive, but able to adapt quickly and reassess when the circumstances no longer match your decision. You are collaborative, but a leader. You love purity of design, but understand the realities of budget and time constraints. You believe that when you love what you do, it isn’t really work, so you can occasionally find fulfillment in long hours.
You are a master designer. Perhaps you’ve even taught, or thought about it. Other designers look up to you and admire your proficiency and artistry. You love sharing knowledge, almost as much as you love learning about new things. You are comfortable both leading a team and taking direction from other designers. Most importantly, you are a strong, clear and efficient verbal and written communicator, and adept at “translating” when people on your team perhaps don’t communicate as well with each other.
This position may lead to a principal lighting designer position for the right candidate.
If this sounds like you, or who you would like to be, then read the formal requirements below, and give us a shout.
Visual Terrain is an equal opportunity employer.
Description: This is a senior management position. It requires extensive lighting design experience, ability to lead a team of lighting and production people, and run a project, making critical-path decisions as needed. Ability to interact with and “manage” clients is vital. Proven sales ability is highly desirable.
Education requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in Theatrical or Architectural Lighting Design, Architecture, Interior Design, Electrical Engineering, or related field, MFA preferred.
Professional experience: Minimum of 8 years professional experience in Lighting Design, 5+ years team/project leadership and management experience.
- Senior Lighting Designer must be proficient in the following skills and computer programs:
- Mastery of AutoCAD, 2D drafting for design and architecture, including experience with XREF management
- Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- General computer knowledge including email system maintenance and troubleshooting
- It is desirable the candidate have experience in the following:
- Photoshop, Max 3D, Illustrator and other rendering software
- Filemaker Pro
- Lighting console programming knowledge
- iWork suite – Pages, Numbers and Keynote
- Business Development / Sales abilities. Ability to find and manage clients, accurately estimate project resources and schedules, and write proposals.
- Themed entertainment experience is highly desirable.
- Work with other lighting designers and support staff – locally and in the Chicago office – as well as onsite around the world – to develop the lighting design for architectural, attraction and theatrical projects.
- In collaboration with other Principal Designers, lead the development and communication of Lighting Design concepts.
- Create and develop project-specific Lighting Design databases, schedules, dimmer panels, and Lighting Design drawings.
- Assist field implementation and test & adjust of Lighting Design as needed. Please note that this will require both domestic and international travel.
- Research and obtain knowledge of new and developing lighting technologies.
- Support mock-ups, presentations and trade shows.
- Create documentation of implemented designs.
- Attend industry events (IES, DLF, TEA, AIA, etc) when possible to develop professional relationships with colleagues and other members of the design community.
- Maintain technical skills required for performance of duties with regard to computer knowledge, AutoCAD proficiency and other related fields, not specifically limited to lighting.
- Manage lighting projects and work with design teams from Blue Sky through Design Development, Construction Administration and Test & Adjust.
- Create lighting design client presentations.
- Maintain project documentation using established document control and archiving processes.
- Attend seminars and product training meetings as available and offered by manufacturers to expand depth of working knowledge. Attend at least one professional career development seminar each year, not limited to lighting design.
- Specify fixtures for small- and large-scale installations.
- Coordinate with architects and other disciplines throughout the various project phases as required.
- Coordinate with electrical engineering discipline to ensure correct implementation of Lighting Design on electrical drawings.
- Work with Principal in Charge, Principal Designers, and Project Managers to adhere to project budgets and schedules, as per contracts.
- From time to time, work late and/or on weekends, to ensure project deadlines are met.
- This position requires a passion to learn and knowledge in the field of design, using originality and creativity in performance of required tasks. The person in this position customarily and regularly uses independent judgment and works on an intellectual level. This position is considered by the company to be classified as professional and has exempt status.
We offer competitive compensation with a full range of benefits, including health, dental and vision plans, a 401(k) retirement plan, and vacation and holidays.
If you are interested, send a resume and portfolio or link to your portfolio site to ” careers” at “visualterrain.net.” (Remove quotes and replace “at” with @.)