The Thea Awards Gala is among the most prestigious events in the themed entertainment world. Presented by the Themed Entertainment Association (TEA), this black-tie night honors the top achievements in the industry. The 23rd Annual Gala takes place April 22 at the Disneyland Hotel ballroom in Anaheim, California, and caps a weekend preceded by the annual TEA Summit, which brings together TEA members from around the world.
Visual Terrain is proud to be a part of this year’s event. Working with show producer, The Hettema Group, Visual Terrain Principal Designer Steven Young and Lighting Designer Taylor Maurer are creating the lighting design, and Production Specialist Mallory Paddock will assist them all as needed. (See team bios here.)
This is Visual Terrain’s eighth year of involvement with the Gala. The company has provided lighting designers, producers, stage managers, and other key personnel from 2005 through 2009, plus 2015 and 2016. Additionally, Visual Terrain President David Green wrote or co-wrote all the production scripts for the 2005-2009 galas, including the memorable 2006 Disney tribute moment. David also provided voiceover talent and music supervision for the 2009 event.
Visual Terrain CEO Lisa Passamonte Green has served for four years on the TEA’s Thea Awards committee, the group of industry leaders that reviews all of the nominations and vets each attraction before the awards are given. Being a part of the committee has allowed Lisa to present an award the past three years. In 2016, she and David presented an award together for Fountain of Dreams. Additionally, Lisa was a member of the TEA International Board for several years.
“We have loved working with Phil’s team at The Hettema Group,” said Lisa. “We’re thrilled to work with them again on another fabulous Thea Awards Gala.”
Over the years, Visual Terrain has been honored to be involved in several projects that were recognized with a Thea Award trophy. These include:
- Barnas Brannstasjon, (Children’s Fire Station) at Kongeparken, Norway (2012)
- Beyond All Boundaries, Solomon Victory Theater, National World War II Museum, New Orleans USA (2011)
- Walt Disney Family Museum (2011) – (for David Green’s company, Monteverdi Creative, Inc.)
- Ashes and Snow at the Nomadic Museum (2007)
- Revenge of the Mummy Ride, Universal Studios (2005)
- Tomb Raider: The Ride, Kings Island (2003)
- Templo del Fuego Universal’s Port Aventura, Spain: Attraction (2003)
- Busch Gardens: Ireland (2002)
- James Cameron’s Titanic: The Experience – Fox Studios Tour, Australia (2000)